Purchasing and preparing food locally: it's easy and I'll show you how.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Small Decisions

If you've read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" you may be feeling a lot like myself, "How in the world could I possibly go a month, let alone a year, eating entirely locally grown food?!" You are not alone. The good news is you don't have to commit to a year of eating food only grown and processed within 50 miles of your home.

Instead, just make a small decision to eat and prepare locally what you can. Start small and go from there. If you rarely cook dinner, start with one homecooked meal a week. If you don't buy local produce, get online and see when the next Farmer's Market is taking place in your area. Start small and do what you can. Flour (grain) will never be grown locally in my area. That doesn't mean I have to go without flour for the rest of my life. Instead, I focus on what I can buy and make locally. So the flour in that focacia bread isn't local, but the herbs, cheese and oil can be purchased locally and the ingredients can be combined and baked locally- all in my kitchen!



And for any of you that haven't read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" - order it now by clicking on the link to the right. It's a great book and will make you fall in love with dirt and vegetables and life all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment